19 Best Dog-Friendly Beaches in South Carolina 2023
Like Dog-friendly Beaches in North Carolina, South Carolina has more than 30 beautiful beaches, many of which allow pets. But pet owners should know the pet rules to avoid unnecessary hassles. These dog-friendly South Carolina beaches offer various enjoyable activities, like rafting, surfing, fishing, camping, etc.
Many dog-friendly beaches allow dogs at a specific time and should be on a leash every time. Basic amenities like restrooms, trip essentials, lifeguards, and safety equipment are there on these beaches to make the trip more enjoyable and safe.
List of 19 Dog-Friendly Beaches in South Carolina
1. Kiawah Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island
Kiawah Beachwalker Park is an excellent beach located on the picturesque island of Kiawah. With 10 miles of pristine coastline, Kiawah Island is considered one of the most beautiful islands in South Carolina.
The beach is around 45 minutes from downtown Charleston. The beach offers umbrellas, chairs, picnic essentials, restrooms, and even wheelchairs.
A good number of picnic spaces and a little drink and food vending machine are available here. Enjoy the day on the beach by riding bikes, fishing, and shopping.
- Timings: The beach is open from 10 am to 5 pm in January, February, November, and December. In March, April, September, and October, the time is 10 am to 6 pm. From May to Labor day, the timing is 9 am to 7 pm. It remains closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year’s day.
- Fees: The entry cost usually varies between $5 to $15, based on the season. Car parking costs 15 dollars per weekday and 20 dollars on weekends. County residents can use the gold pass.
Kiawah Island Dog Rules
- Unless they are confined, pets must always be on a leash when outside (pen, fence, etc.).
- In important habitat zones situated at the ends of the island, dogs are not allowed any time of year.
Address: 8 Beachwalker Drive, Kiawah Island, SC 29455.
Read 12 Dog Friendly Beaches in Malibu California
2. Morris Island Beach
Morris Island is another island in the SC region that offers a pet-friendly beach on its shore. This undeveloped beach is full of tranquillity and is only accessible by boat. To reach the island, book a boat from Mount Pleasant (Adventure Harbour Tours is the most famous among them). It takes a boat ride of only 20 minutes to reach the island.
Morris Island offers dogs the opportunity to run loose off-leash with the fewest dog regulations and restrictions. Morris Island is far from the people, so visitors come for the solitude, the landscape, and perhaps a chance to see some dolphins.
The main picturesque attraction is the ancient lighthouse, built in 1876. Unfortunately, one can’t get inside because it’s located on a piece of land that is rapidly eroding. Beyond the views from the lighthouse, there are shells and wildlife to discover.
- Timings: It opens daily from 12 am to 11.59 pm. However, call beforehand for more detailed information, as the waves on the day of your excursion determine when the boats will depart.
- Fees: The parking cost ranges between $2 to $5 here.
Morris Island Beach Dog Rules
- The beach is free from strict dog restrictions.
- The dogs can run without their leash to run along and play in the sand and water if it isn’t the shorebirds’ nesting season.
Address: 1750 E Ashley Ave, Folly Beach, SC 29439, USA.
Read 12 Best Dog-friendly Beaches in Delaware
3. Edisto beach
Edisto Beach is located in the Southern part of Edisto Island, with over four miles of coastline. The family-oriented beach also provides a lovely area to take the pets for a walk.
Enjoy the time on the beach by swimming, relaxing on the shore, and collecting seashells and shark teeth. If lucky, one may get some archaeological and rare pieces from the clean waters.
The beach also keeps hosting fantastic tournaments and events; everyone can participate in these occasions. Several restaurants, hotels, and churches are available on the island to make the trip more memorable and hassle-free.
- Timings: It remains open daily from 8 am to 6 pm.
- Fees: The ticket price is $5 for adults, $5 for senior citizens, and $4 for children between the age of 6 to 15, and it is free for children under age 5.
Edisto Beach Dog Rules
- From May 1 to October 31, dogs are permitted on Edisto Beach as long as they are leashed.
- Bags for dog waste are available at practically all beach access points.
- From November 1 to April 30, dogs are permitted off-leash.
Address: Town of Edisto Beach, 2414 Murray Street, Edisto Beach, SC 29438.
Read Why Do Dogs Rarely Get Sick?
4. Surfside beach
Surfside Beach is one of South Carolina’s top dog-friendly beaches. The family-friendly beach offers restrooms, special wheelchairs for beaches, and foot showers.
There are 36 access points to the famous beach, which is ideal for boating, swimming, fishing, and surfing. The eco-friendly community encourages vacationers to recycle by collecting cans, bottles, and newspapers.
You may feel safe bringing the family here for fun because the coastlines are maintained regularly and watched over by lifeguards to keep everyone safe. Seven parks and many restaurants are available on Surfside Beach To make the journey more cozy and tranquil. please note, large animals are not permitted on the beach, including horses.
- Timings: The beach is open from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Fees: Vehicles need an annual pass of $10 to drive there, and pedestrian beaches have no fees.
Surfside Beach Dog Rules
- From May 1 until Labor Day, dogs and other domestic animals are not allowed on the public beach between 10 am and 5 pm.
- On the beach, dogs need to be leashed at all times.
Address: Town Hall, 210 Highway 17 S, Surfside Beach, SC.
5. Folly Beach, Folly Island, South Carolina
Folly Beach is undoubtedly one of the most popular dog-friendly beaches in South Carolina, with lots of international gourmets visiting it daily. There are lots of activities to enjoy on the beach, like kayaking, swimming, paddle boarding, riding bikes, and surfing, and it also offers beautiful sites to take mesmerizing pictures.
Folly Beach keeps hosting various seasonal festivals like Thanksgiving and live concerts to bring flavor to the trip. The beach can be a perfect venue for a beautiful party, private event, or wedding.
Many hotels are also available on the beach to provide a fantastic dining and lodging experience. Some well-known and visitors’ favorite hotels are Tides, Hotel Folly, Beachwalk Villas, etc.
- Timings: Folly Beach remains open daily from 8 am to 9 pm.
- Fees: The minimum full-day pass cost is $10 to $20, but it varies depending on location.
Folly Beach Dog rules
- From May 1 to September 30 dogs are not allowed on the beach between 10 am to 6 pm.
- Dogs on the beach are permitted from October 1 to April 30 but must be kept on a leash.
Address: Folly Beach County Park, 1100 W Ashley Ave, Folly Beach, SC 29439.
Read Folly Beach Dog Rules and Guidelines, South Carolina
6. Alder Lane beach access, Hilton Head Island
Alder Lane is another famous pet-friendly beach on Hilton Head Island. Close to the Marriott Grande Ocean Resort, Alder Lane offers beach access right off South Forest Beach Drive.
The family-friendly, less crowded beach offers basic amenities like restrooms, seasonal lifeguards, beach matting, an outdoor shower, and a parking area.
The white sand is perfect for building sand castles, and in turtle season, some turtle nests can also be found here and there on the beach. There are many hotels available here that provide good lodging experiences.
- Timings: From 6 am to 9 pm in the summer and from 6 am to 6 pm in the winter. The beach is open all year round.
- Fees: The metered parking area costs about $0.25 for 15 minutes of parking.
Alder Lane Beach Dog Rules
- During the designated beach season, April 1 through September 30 before 10 am and after 5 pm, dogs are welcome on the sand.
- They must always be on a leash or under firm verbal control.
- Dog waste should be removed and properly disposed of by the owner.
Address: 2 Woodward Ave, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928, USA.
7. Sullivan’s Beaches, Sullivan’s Island, Charleston
Sullivan’s island is small in South Carolina, full of long beaches and watersports. It’s ideal for day vacations because of its history, folklore, local eateries, stores, peace, and beauty.
There are many activities on the beach to get out of boredom and experience some adventures like kayaking, kiteboarding, paddle boarding, sailing, and fishing. Only a few restaurants are on the island; Home Team BBQ and MEX 1 Coastal Cantina are must-visits. There are public beach access points on the shores, which are still called stations.
From here, one can see Fort Sumter, Charleston’s Battery Row, and the Morris Island Lighthouse in breathtaking detail. This beach boasts miles of beachfront to lay back and enjoy the sun view, with natural beauty and very little commercial development.
Timings: The beach remains open from 9 am to 11 pm.
Sullivan’s Beaches Dog Rules
- Dogs are permitted on the beach during the summer months of May 1 through September 30.
- Dogs are allowed to be off leash from 5:00 am to 10:00 am and on leash from 6:00 pm to 5 am.
- On the beach, no dogs are allowed between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.
Address: Sullivan’s Island.
Read Sullivans Island Dog Rules, South Carolina
8. Myrtle Beach State Park
Myrtle Beach State Park is an outstanding and popular dog-friendly beach destination in South Carolina and the USA. This 312-acre preserve is on the southern edge of Myrtle Beach. It offers unspoiled beaches, a maritime forest, and contemporary comforts like a campsite, a nature center, and a fishing pier.
Camping on the beach is the chief attraction for tourists. As the island stays crowded, reserving the camping site beforehand is needed.
Enjoy the day by fishing, hiking, visiting the nature center, and collecting seashells, and you may see some dolphins playing in the water.
- Timings: The park is open every day from 6 am to 10 pm (however, from December through February, it shuts at 8 pm).
- Fees: The beach park has an entry fee of $8 per adult who is over 16 years.
Myrtle Beach Dog Rules
The cottages and the cabin areas are not pet-friendly. From May 1 through Labor Day, pets are prohibited on the beaches from 10 am to 5 pm (7 days a week). Most other outdoor spaces allow pets all year long if they are restrained physically or on a leash no longer than six feet.
Address: 4401 South Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29575.
Read Myrtle Beach Dog Rules, South Carolina
9. Driessen Beach Park, Hilton Head Islands
Driessen Beach Park is a pet-friendly beach on Hilton Head Island, surrounded by green nature and mesmerizing sea view. The less crowded beach is perfect for those looking for a good time with family and friends at the seashore.
The beach house has four outdoor showers, a vending machine, and restrooms with water fountains for washing off sea sands. Seasonal lifeguards, playgrounds, and picnic essentials make the trip comfortable and safe for visitors.
- Timings: The park is open every day, depending on daylight savings time, from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm in the summer and from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm in the winter.
- Fees: The beach provides a sizable parking area with over 200 parking slots, and the parking fee is $4.
Driessen Beach Dog Rules
Dogs are only permitted on the boardwalk from 6 am to 10 am and are not allowed on the beach between 10 am and 5 pm.
Address: 64 Bradley Beach Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928, USA.
10. Isle of Palms County Park and Beach
Isle of Palms County Park is a family-friendly beach with over 600 feet of oceanfront, located in the Charleston area. It has all amenities picnic amenities like picnic tables, grills, umbrellas, and many more. It’s perfect for boardwalks and volleyball and has a playground for children.
Restrooms, outdoor showers, ice cream cafes, dressing areas, and lifeguards will be there to make the trip a comfortable and safe one.
- Timings: It remains open every day from 9 am to 7 pm.
- Fees: The parking fee remains between $5 to $20, based on the seasons and special days.
Isle Of Palms Dog Rules
- Pets are required to be on a leash at all times behind the shoreline.
- Pets are allowed off-leash on the beach from 5 am to 9 am from April 1 through September 14.
- From September 15 through March 31 before 10 am or after 4 pm.
- Pets are permitted on the beach but must always be on a leash otherwise.
Address: 1-14th Ave, Isle of Palms, SC 29451.
Read Isle of Palms Dog Rules, South Carolina | New Guidelines
11. Coligny beach park, Hilton Head Island
Coligny Beach Park is another famous pet-friendly beach on Hilton Head Island. It’s located at Pope Avenue’s terminus. One of the key factors contributing to Coligny Beach Park’s popularity is its amenities. The park provides essential amenities like sand showers, retail establishments, dining options, and various clean facilities.
The beach is home to several excellent restaurants like Tiki Hut, Rita’s, Flatbread Grill, etc. The beach remains crowded most of the time due to its high popularity, so reserving spots beforehand would be an intelligent choice. Peak-hour traffic may be somewhat chaotic, but there is free parking, which is a plus.
- Timings: From March to October, Coligny Beach Park is open daily from 6 am to 9 pm and from 6 am to 6 pm in the winter.
- Fees: Umbrellas and chairs are available here for rent. One umbrella and two chairs rent cost $40 for the whole day from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Coligny Beach Dog Rules
- Dogs are allowed on the beach in the winter from 6 am to 6 pm.
- Dogs are only permitted on the beach before 10 am and after 5 pm during the summer when it’s open from 6 am to 9 pm.
Address: 1 Coligny Circle, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928, United States.
12. Beaches at the Fripp Island
Fripp Island beaches are less crowded and secluded, near South Carolina’s southernmost point. The island is home to several golf courts, dog-friendly beaches, resorts, and a small community of citizens.
The island offers numerous fun things to do. Paddleboarding, excursion at Pritcher’s Island, exploring the Cabana Club Complex and Hunting Island Lighthouse, and horse riding are its top attraction. Wildlife creatures, like loggerhead sea turtles, are found on the beach.
There are 32 access points along the shore, making it much easier to enjoy the time here. One thing to remember is that this is a private island, and an island card is needed.
- Timings: The beach remains open every day, from 9 am to 5 pm
- Fees: The rent of a chair costs around $10/day, umbrellas $20/day, and a set (two chairs and one umbrella) costs $40/day.
Fripp Island Dog Rules
- Dogs are permitted on the beach anytime from October 1 through March 31 on a leash or under voice control.
- They are allowed on the beach anytime from April 1 through the Thursday before Memorial Day.
- Pets must be on a leash between 10 am and 5 pm.
Address: 225 Tarpon Boulevard, Saint Helena Island, SC, US, 29920.
13. Burkes Beach, Hilton Head Island
Burkes Beach is a famous pet-friendly beach on Hilton Head Island. There are tennis and basketball courts, a playground, and even a dog park in the park. At 60 Burkes Beach Road, Burkes Beach is reachable via William Hilton Parkway. Free parking meters and outdoor showers are available in this location.
Ride a bike, enjoy a picnic, swim, or lie down on the beach with your pet. Seasonal lifeguards and beach rentals are available on Burkes Beach.
Timings: The beach is open every day from 6 am to 9 pm. In winter, the daylight length determines the beach’s closing times.
Burkes Beach Dog Rules
Dogs are only allowed at Burkes Beach before 10 am and after 5 pm from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Address: 60 Burkes Beach Road, Hilton Head Island 29928.
14. Fish Haul Beach Park, Hilton Head Island
Fish Haul beach park is a perfect year-round pet-friendly beach at Hilton Head Island. This beach is ideal for individuals looking for a peaceful getaway where they can wander about with their pups, watch birds, and relax as it overlooks Port Royal Sound.
On this beach, you will have access to a lovely white sand beach on the inlet and free parking. The most basic facilities are there, including bathrooms, rinse showers, and picnic essentials. In addition, there is a small parking lot that is free to use.
This island has many activities, such as wildlife viewing, collecting sea shells and shark teeth, strolling, and many more.
Timings: The beach park is open from 6 am to 9 pm on Monday through Sunday. In winter, the timing may change.
Hilton Head Beach Dog Rules
- A leash requirement on this beach or dogs must be under voice control.
- Dogs are not allowed on beaches from the Friday before Memorial Day to Labor Day between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.
- Animal waste must be removed from the beach and properly disposed of. It’s prohibited to let pets chase or bother wildlife.
Address: 124 Mitchelville Road, Hilton Head Island 29926
15. Litchfield Beach
Litchfield is undoubtedly one of the best dog-friendly beaches in South Carolina. With a beautiful ocean view, the Litchfield area boasts clean beaches. Public and private tennis and golf facilities on the beach. The most famous beach activities include eating, shopping, and riding bikes.
The family-friendly beach also has a lot of hotels and residences. Litchfield’s best-known hotels are Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort, The Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, etc. Pre-booking is unnecessary as the beach is rarely overly crowded.
Timing: The beach remains open from 8 am to 7 pm; however, it also depends on the weather and season.
Litchfield Beach Dog Rules
Leashes are required if dogs are taken on the beach between 9 am to 7 pm. Dogs can be off-leash at other times if they are trained for voice commands.
Address: 14276 Ocean Hwy, Pawleys Island
16. Garden City Beach
Garden City Beach is a small, family-friendly beach near the famous Surfside Beach. The beach provides everything from fishing and surfing during the day to dancing at night in the pub.
Garden City Beach is 10 miles south of downtown Myrtle Beach. It takes only a short drive to get to Garden City Beach for a day trip or a night out. Beach home and condo rentals are the lodging options in Garden City Beach.
The pier, located at Garden City, is a popular destination among its visitors, offering many fun activities. Additionally, The Pier is free of cost to use.
Timings: The beach remains open from 7 am to 7 pm, depending on the day’s weather.
Garden City Beach Dog Rules
From March 1 through Labor Day, between 10 am and 5 pm, dogs are prohibited on the beach. Dogs trained for voice control with leashes are allowed here for the rest of the time.
Address: Garden City, SC 29576, USA
17. North Myrtle Beach
North Myrtle Beach is another dog-friendly beach in South Carolina. It’s a perfect spot for family fun activities, as the beach offers many great things.
There are golf courts, shopping complexes, fishing areas, fine restaurants, and luxurious lodging options to make the trip hassle-free.
The beach keeps hosting new and unique events, and everyone can attend those. It might be a moment you’ll cherish for the rest of your life to ride a horse and take in the scenic scenery of this lovely beach. The beach also offers stunning wedding venues, and the rates are reasonable.
Timings: Timing may vary according to the season and weather; however, the general timing is 7 am to 7 pm.
North Myrtle Beach Dog Rules
Dogs are not permitted on the beach from 9 am to 5 pm from May 15 to September 15. At other times, dogs must be on leashes, and the pet owner must properly dispose of pet waste.
Address: North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
18. Crescent Beach
Crescent Beach is a family-friendly, small beach in South Carolina. Fewer people are on the beach throughout the year so you can skip booking beforehand. There are many shopping complexes, splendid resorts, and restaurants all over the coast so you won’t feel bored at any time.
Some popular destinations near Crescent Beach that everyone should visit are- House of Blues Myrtle Beach, Cherry Grove Pier, Alabama Theatre, OD Pavilion Amusement Park, etc. There are many hotels on the beach, some of which have been visitors’ favorites, like Castaway Beach Inn, The Red Tree Inn, Seaside Resort, etc.
Timings: The beach is open from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Saturday.
Crescent Beach Dog Rules
Dogs must be leashed at the beach. Pet owners need to dispose of the waste of their dogs.
Address: North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, USA
19. Cherry Grove Beach
Cherry Grove Beach is a famous beach among pet owners in North Carolina. The beach never fails to amuse its visitors with its splendid ocean view and fine amenities. Many fun activities get you out of boredom, like golfing, fishing, shopping, kayaking, etc.
Cherry Grove also provides beautiful venues for private weddings. Various seafood restaurants provide delectable dishes like Filet, Duffy Street Seafood, The Shack, etc. Records are set on Cherry Grove Pier yearly for catching large fish, sharks, etc. Unquestionably, it ranks among South Carolina’s best piers.
Timings: The beach remains open from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
Cherry Grove Beach Dog Rules
Dogs are not permitted on the beach from 9 am to 5 pm from May 15 to September 15. For the rest of the year, dogs are allowed on the beach at any time, but on a leash.
Address: 3502 N Ocean Blvd, North Myrtle Beach
All year long, tourists travel to South Carolina’s dog-friendly beaches. Make sure to check the weather forecast before making any plans. However, it’s crucial to keep in mind that not all beaches of South Carolina permit dogs, so double-check before going. All pet owners must abide by key pet restrictions at these beaches and parks. International travelers are also subject to the same pet policies.